The Connect product family includes two customizable plans to choose from with a range of cost-sharing options to fit almost any budget.
Short term medical (STM) policy with a $2 million dollar coverage-period maximum. Up to 36 months of coverage depending on state.
An STM policy that provides a $25,000 benefit for eligible pre-existing conditions.
Connect short term policies are limited-benefit, temporary medical insurance policies that may include coverage for the type of high-dollar, unexpected care and treatment that results from a serious illness or injury while between major medical policies.
Like other short-term policies, Connect plans are not ACA-qualifying minimum essential coverage and include several limitations and exclusions, such as pre-existing coverage limitations that may not make this coverage adequate for everyone.
Short term policies typically include some coverage for medical services such as:
- Hospital room and board
- Diagnostic physician visits
- Emergency room services
- Intensive care
Connect Series Plan Features
A range of cost-sharing options
- Multiple deductible levels to choose from, ranging from $2,500 to $10,000.
- $50 physician office visit copay.
- Annual out-of-pocket maximums range from $4,000 to $10,000.
- Coinsurance rates from 20% to 50%.
Available for ages 2 to 65
- Child-only STM plans are available for kids aged 2 to 18.
- Children under two may be included as a dependent.
- Connect plans are available to applicants through age 64.
- Initial STM term durations between 30 and 364 days depending on state.
- No need to reapply to get longer coverage durations. If coverage is needed for a longer duration, Connect STM Extend may be added to the initial term up to 24 months depending on state law. Note that the maximum allowable duration varies by state but will never exceed 36 months.
- Coverage period maximum benefits: $2 million, however, this differs by state and some states do not have maximum benefits.
- Connect Plus includes coverage up to $25,000 for certain pre-existing condition coverage.
Sample Policy Limitations + Exclusions
- All applicants are subject to eligibility, underwriting requirements and state availability of coverage.
- Connect STM Connect Plus have limited durations which vary by state.
- Under most policies, pre-existing conditions are excluded from coverage.
- There is an extended list of healthcare services and charges that are excluded from coverage.
- Not available in all states.
Who May Want a Short Term Policy?
- Anyone between major medical plans for any reason that doesn’t qualify for a special enrollment period or who missed their special enrollment period.
- The unemployed – it’s not a COBRA replacement, but a lower premium limited benefit option.
- Retirees not yet Medicare-eligible.
- Anyone that prefers less comprehensive coverage for less premium, for a specified time period.
- Employees in a new employee waiting period.
This coverage is not required to comply with certain federal market requirements for health insurance, principally those contained in the Affordable Care Act. Be sure to check the policy carefully to make sure you are aware of any exclusions or limitations regarding coverage of pre-existing conditions or health benefits. A short-term medical insurance plan may vary from an ACA plan in such benefits as hospitalization, emergency services, maternity care, preventive care, prescription drugs, and mental health and substance use disorder services. A short-term medical policy might also have coverage-period and/or benefit-specific dollar limits on health benefits. If this coverage expires or you lose eligibility for this coverage, you might have to wait until an open enrollment period to get other health insurance coverage.
Short-term medical plans are not available in all states. This page provides a very brief description of the important features of the Connect plans. It is, therefore, important that you READ THE POLICY CAREFULLY. For complete details, refer to the Short-Term Medical Expense Insurance Policy Form IAIC ISTM POL [State] 0119 (Policy number may vary by state). This product is administered by The Loomis Company.