Supplemental hospital fixed benefit indemnity insurance can provide additional cash benefits for unexpected or higher cost healthcare services, for example, when hospitalization or surgery is required.
There are two plan options to choose from with optional benefit buy-ups – making a SHIP plan available for many different needs and budgets.
Hospital Insurance Only
- Room + Board
- Misc hospital expenses
- General nursing
- Inpatient Hospitalization: $3,000
Hospital + Surgical Insurance
- Includes hospital insurance benefits + coverage
- Inpatient, Outpatient surgery
- Second surgical opinion
- Surgical Coverage: $1,000-$2,000
Supplemental Hospital Indemnity Insurance Features
Optional benefit buy ups
- Outpatient urgent care or emergency room visit.
- Outpatient diagnostic X-ray and lab.
- Outpatient advanced studies.
Available for ages 18 to 64.5
- The primary applicant must be age 18 to 64.5 years old.
- Dependents under age 18 may be included under a primary applicant.
- Child-only plans are not available.
- No waiting period in most states – select any effective date following approval + premium payment
- Benefits for pre-existing conditions are payable after 12 months of consecutive coverage
Sample Policy Limitations + Exclusions
- Not available without obtaining a major medical policy in some states.
- Pre-existing condition limitation.
- There is an extended list of healthcare services and charges that are excluded from coverage.
- Some states require a Major Medical policy prior to purchasing this insurance policy.
Who May Want a SHIP Policy?
- Anyone with a high deductible major medical plan, including an individual ACA plan and employer group benefits.
People that are using supplemental insurance instead of ACA-qualifying major medical plan.
These products are not qualifying health coverage (“Minimum Essential Coverage”) that satisfies the health coverage requirement of the Affordable Care Act. If you don’t have Minimum Essential Coverage, you may owe an additional payment with your taxes. The termination or loss of this policy does not entitle you to a special enrollment period to purchase a health benefit plan that qualifies as minimum essential coverage outside of an open enrollment period. These products may include a pre-existing condition exclusion provision.
This page provides a very brief description of the important features of a Supplemental Hospital Insurance plan. Insurance coverages are provided under the Master Group Insurance Policy (IAIC-IPAHIP-0810 – varies by state), underwritten by Independence American Insurance Company and issued to the policyholder. Exclusions and limitations apply. Association benefits are offered at the sole discretion of ABBA or CA and may vary by vendor or state.